Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Authors in the Limelight Interview: Robyn Opie Parnell

The following is from an interview I did for Sharon Ledwith's blog: I Came. I Saw. I Wrote. Thank you, Sharon!

I want to thank and welcome author Robyn Opie Parnell for sharing her personal writing journey with us on my blog today. Her featured book, Maya and the Crystal Skull, can be purchased from Amazon, and other on-line bookstores.

How long have you been writing, Robyn?

I wrote my first novel when I was fifteen – an Australian version of Nancy Drew. 


In my early twenties, I submitted a 2,500 word picture book to publishers. I thought the book was brilliant. I loved it. Publishers, unfortunately, didn’t agree. But I didn’t know back then that picture books are usually less than 700 words and never ever more than 1,000. Oops! It’s a good thing we live and learn.

Around mid-nineties, I read books and completed courses on writing for children. My first three books were accepted in 1998 and published in 1999. The three books are still available today. They are My Bike, Jen Stays Inside, and People Need Trucks.

Where did you get your idea and inspiration to write Maya and the Crystal Skull?

To read more of my interview, please visit Sharon Ledwith's blog: I Came. I Saw. I Wrote.
http://sharonledwith.blogspot.ca/2012/10/authors-in-limelight-interview-robyn.html


No comments: